Back home, winters are the best time for Carrot Halwa. Winter weather miraculously turns carrots sweeter and juicer and hence perfect for Halwa. Ah! I miss the Delhi -carrot Halwas and Moongdal Halwa consumed at this time of the year. Here it is Carrot Halwa.
One special sweet note about Carrot halwa. It somehow follows me on all big moments in my life..our engagement, Wedding, Sonny boy's first birthday, invariably served with Ice Cream :) I am not complaining.
We will need
Carrots grated 3 Cups (packed)
Khoa 1/2 Cup
Sugar 1 1/2 Cup
Ghee 1/4 Cup
Salt a pinch
Nutmeg a pinch (optional, I love it)
- Heat Ghee in a thick bottomed skillet. Dump the grated carrots and salt. Stir and saute till fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add the Khoa and sugar. Simmer and keep stirring at regular intervals. It burns rather easily at this point.
- Once it is thoroughly cooked, throw in the nutmeg. Mix well. Cook for a few more minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with slivered toasted Almonds. I somehow like the crunch and prefer almonds. If preferred raisins and cashews can also be used.
- Serve warm with Ice cream on the side.