This time around I measured all the ingredients so as to never go wrong.
Honey adores Tomato Palya. I like it too. It goes very well with Chapatis and a dollop of ghee.
We will need,
Tomatoes (Plum or the Jamoon variety ) 3 large
Onion 2 large
Oil 4 tbsp
Green Chillies 4-5
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves a handful
Sugar 1 tsp
Huli Pudi / Sambar Powder 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
Cumin 1/4 tsp
Hing a dash
Salt to taste
- Dice tomatoes and onions roughly. Slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil a Wok. Throw in the mustard seeds, cumin and the hing. Once they splutter, add the channa dal and urad dal. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the curry leaves and green chillies. Stir for a minute and add the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes add the tomatoes with their juice. Toss in a pinch of salt. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the Huli Pudi and sugar and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes are soft. Most often than not tomatoes are juicy and does not need additional water to cook but if the mixture becomes dry before the tomatoes are done add half a cup of water.
- Once the tomatoes are done, adjust salt and serve hot with fresh chapatis.