But for now one of Aunty Susheela's recipe, the toor dal dosa. It was a super hit!My MIL got me a new ELGI Ultra Grinder and I am a happy lark making Dosa, Idlis every other day :)
Toor Dal/ Split Pigeon peas/ Togari bele 1 Cup
Rice 2 Cups
Red Chillies (Byadige) 4
Ginger 1 " piece
Jeera/Cumin 1/2 tsp
Dhania/ Coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
- Pick and clean the dal. Wash dal and rice separately in several changes of water.
- Soak the dal and rice separately in water for at least six hours.
- Toast the red chillies, Jeera and Dhaniya on a hot griddle till fragrant.
- Grind the soaked dal, rice and spices into a smooth paste adding as little water as possible. Use the soaking liquid if necessary.
- Mix in salt and set it aside in a draft free place to ferment overnight. In the Eastern coast of USA, i preheat the oven, turn it off and set the batter in the oven overnight. The batter doubles in volume after fermentation.
- To make dosa, pre-heat a skillet. Ladle about 3/4 cup of batter to the center of the pan. Spread it out evenly using a circular motion from the center of the batter reaching out to the edges. Pour a tablespoon of peanut oil /Ghee on the dosa. Cover and cook for a few minutes till the bottom of the dosa is golden brown.
- Flip the dosa and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and serve with chutney or Saagu