I make a big batch, leave it in the refrigerator. Heating up each serving as I pack Honey's lunch box.
Rice 2 cups cooked and cooled
Tamarind size of a lemon (Soaked in warm water for 15-20 minutes)
Huli Pudi /Sambar Powder 1.5 tsp
Jaggery 1.5 tbsp (crushed, more or less depending on taste)
Peanut Oil 3 tbsp
Green Chillies 2-3 slit
Mustard 1/4 tsp
Hing a dash
Onion 1 medium chopped (Optional)
Curry leaves a hand full
Peanuts a hand full
Salt to taste
- Squeeze and extract as much pulp from the tamarind. Discard the fibers.
- Combine the pulp, Huli pudi, jaggery in a thick bottomed pot. Cook till the mixture smells fragrant, about 20 minutes. Set it aside
- In another pan, heat oil. Toss in the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves, green chillies, onion and peanuts one after the other. Cook till peanuts are toasted. Set it aside.
- To assemble, stir in the cooked tamarind into the rice, a teaspoon at a time. Check the taste and stop mixing once the desired taste is achieved. I like it with a lot of tamarind, MIL likes with just a hint!! So play with it...Adjust salt.
- Finally mix in the onion- peanut takda with the rice and enjoy...