Here is one of her signature recipes... Shavige pulao, it is vermicelli replacing rice in Pulao. It is hard to explain how good it is. Besides it takes about 30 minutes to make, what better than such a dish for a quick breakfast, or say a week end brunch??
Vermicelli / Shavige 3 Cups
Mixed Vegetables 1.5 Cups
Ghee 2 tbsp
Oil 2 tbsp (MIL's original recipe calls for 4 tbsp)
Onion 1/2 big
Pudina/ Mint 1/4 C
Coriander 1/4 C
Green Chillies 4
Garlic 2 cloves
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder 2 tsp
- Toast vermicelli in one tbsp of Ghee. Set it aside.
- Combine all the ingredients under "grind" in a blender. Pulse till mixture is smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil and ghee in a wide bottom pan. Tip in the vegetables, saute till cooked half way through.
- Add the ground mixture. Cook till the spices are fragrant. About 10 -15 minutes.
- Add 4.5 cups of water to the simmering spices. Bring it to a slow boil.
- Dump the vermicelli, stir and cover. Cook till done. Serve with some raita on the side.