We will need,
Tomatoes 2 large
Tamarind extract 1/2 tsp
Jaggery 1/2 tbsp (crushed)
Tili Saaru Powder 3/4 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Ghee 1 tbsp
Mustard 1/4 tsp
Hing a dash
Salt to taste
Fresh Coriander a handful
- Rough chop the tomatoes. Combine it with crushed jaggery and tamarind extract in a glass dish and pop it in the microwave for 4 minutes or till the tomatoes are mushy. Else cook the contents on the stove top till mushy.
- Remove and transfer the contents to a saucepan. Add the Tili Saaru powder and 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil and simmer till the raw smell disappears, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the oggarane in another pan. Heat ghee, drop the mustard, hing and curry leaves into the hot ghee. Once the mixture stops crackling pour it onto the tomato mixture.
- Simmer for a few more minutes, adjust salt and finish with fresh coriander.
- Serve piping hot with rice, a dollop of ghee and Papad.