She is visiting us from India. We are having a fun time here with all experimentation in the kitchen and of course long sessions of yapping.
I have been prodding her for old forgotten recipes. This is one of the results. I have a treasure trove to publish and hope I find time in between our yapping sessions to get on to my machine and do some writing!!!
we will need,
Avarebele 1/2 cup
For the spice paste
Garlic 2 cloves
Coconut 3 tbsp
Dry red chillies 4-5 (adjust according to taste)
Black pepper 1/2 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
For the Oggarane/Tadka
Oil 1 tbsp
Mustard 1/4 tsp
Hing a pinch
Curry leaves a handful
- Pick and clean the Avarebele washing it in several changes of water.
- Drain the Avarebele and combine two cups of water and the Avarebele in a pressure cooker and cook till very soft. (About 5 whistles in my pressure cooker) Set it aside to cool.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under the 'spice paste' into a smooth paste adding a little water.
- Bring the spice paste to a boil and simmer till the rawness disappear about 20 minutes.
- Mix in the cooked Avarebele and stir well. Add salt to taste and simmer.
- In another pan, heat oil. Drop the mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Once they crackle, pour the mixture onto the simmer Avarebele-spice mixture. Mix and cover. Simmer for a few more minutes till the flavors are well combined about 10-15 minutes.
- Finish with some fresh coriander. Serve hot with rice.