We will need
Poha 1 cup
Water 1 cup + a little more
Tili Saaru Pudi/ Sambar Power 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Tamarind extract 1 tsp
Jaggery 2 tsp grated (more if you like it sweeter)
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tbsp
Dry red chillies 4-5
Curry leaves 8-10
Peanuts ¼ cup
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
Hing a Dash
- In a blender or a food processor, grind the Poha into a coarse powder. Set it aside.
- Combine water, Tili Saaru Pudi, tamarind extract, salt and jaggery. Mix well thoroughly. If you have problem dissolving the jaggery, just pop the mixture into the microwave for about 20 seconds and it will dissolve in a jiffy. Taste the mixture. The balance of flavors should be right. Adjust the ingredients accordingly.
- Mix the coarse Poha powder in the mixture. Set it aside for at least 15 minutes.Once the Poha powder has absorbed all of the mixture, fluff it up with a fork.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Throw in the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and the chillies. Once the spluttering stops, throw in the peanuts, channa dal and urad dal.
- Once the dals are fragrant and golden brown, throw in the fluffed up Poha mixture. Give it a good toss. Cook for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with a dollop of thick curds