To be on the safer side I did not do the simpler basic dal, instead took the longer route because I was not convinced that this dal was fit to be consumed this way.
The results were not bad. Honey liked it. I was OK with it but definitely not something I did dish up thrice a week. May be it is a good way to use up the dal if it is sitting on your pantry self for too long.
We will need,
Urad Dal 1/2 C (Split and hulled variety )
Tomato 1 small diced
Onion 1 small diced
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Ginger 1 tsp chopped
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Dhania powder 1 tsp
Ghee 2 tsp
Hing a generous pinch
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi 1 tbsp
Salt and lime juice
- Wash the urad dal in plenty of water several times. Combine it with turmeric, water, ginger in a pressure cooker and cook till soft. (That is one whistle in my cooker) Set it aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Throw in the Jeera, hing.
- Once the spluttering stops, add the onion. Fry till golden. Throw in the chilly powder, dhania powder. Stir briskly for a couple of minutes and add the diced tomatoes.
- Scrap the bottom of the pan and crush the tomatoes as you cook.
- Once the tomatoes are mushy, remove from fire and mix it with the cooked dal.
- Reheat the dal and finish with some kasoori methi. Serve with rice or roti. We had it with Brinjal potato curry on the side
This goes out to MLLA 13 started by Susan