But now for the ennegai.
Brinjal/ Eggplants 6 small
Onion medium 1 chopped
Butter 1 tbsp
Oil 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Mustard 1 tsp
Peanuts 2 tbsp
Curry leaves 8-10
Tamarind Paste 3/4 tsp
Jaggery 1" piece
Khara Masala entire quantity mentioned except 1 tbsp
Hing a dash
Salt to taste.
- Toast peanuts. Cool and grind them into a smooth power using a coffee grinder.
- Mix the ground peanuts with the Khara Masale. Set it aside
- Make two perpendicular slits on the eggplants starting from the tip running all the way up to a centimeter from the stalk. Make sure the stalk still hold the vegetable together.
- Stuff the Khara masale and peanut mixture generously into the egg plant.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Drop the butter and oil. Toss in the mustard seeds, Jeera, hing and curry leaves. Once the spluttering stops, add the onions. Cook till they are soft.
- Now gently place the stuffed egg plants in a single layer on the bed of onions. Cover and cook for five minutes. Turn them over after five minutes.
- Once the skin of the egg plant has turned darker, add the tamarind, 1 cup of water, jaggery, salt (remember the khara masale already has some salt!). Simmer till the egg plants are soft
- Serve hot with Jowar rotti!