With this kind of hellish weather, everything seems damp, my spirits even my kitchen. It has been a while that I perked myself up on a week day to dish out something really elaborate. It is just the simplest of food that I am making these days. Not that I have a preference but that there is nothing much I can do about it. So till the weather comes along nice and warm, it is gonna be many more cups of simple dals and rice!
By the way I am so excited that Amitab Bacchan is around our place. In fact his family is around for Aishwarya's Pink Panther 2 release.. Hoping to watch the movie in theater soon. Me not a movie buff, but for the sake an Indian actress in a full fledged Hollywood movie I guess I will...
Whole Moong Dal 1/2 cup
Water 3 cups
Turmeric a pinch
Coriander fresh chopped
Oil 1 tsp
For the Oggarane/ Tadka
Red chillies 5-6 (or more according to taste)
Tomato 1 chopped
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
- Pick Moong Dal clean. Wash it with several changes of water till the water runs clear.
- Combine the turmeric, 3 cups of water, oil along with the dal in a pressure cooker and Cook for 2-3 whistles. Set it aside to cool
- Just before serving, prepare the Oggarane.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds, followed by hing. Once the spluttering stops, add the red chillies and tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Pour the tadka over the cooked dal. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and adjust salt.
- Serve it hot with rice.