Rice flour 1 cup
Roasted channa dal 1/2 cup
Maida 1 tbsp
Peanut 1/2 cup
Chilly powder 1 tbsp (or to taste)
Salt to taste
Curry leaves 10 (this is my twist.. i love the flavor of curry leaves in nippattu!)
Hing 1 pinch
Oil 2 tbsp + to deep fry.
- Powder the roasted channa dal and half the peanuts into a smooth powder. Crush the remaining peanuts coarsely.
- Mix the powdered dal and nut mixture, crushed peanut, salt, chilly powder, curry leaves, Hing and rice flour.
- Heat oil in a stable thick bottomed pot.
- Make a well in the rice flour mixture and pour two tbsp of hot oil into the well. Mix with a spoon. Add some water to make a tight dough.
- Pinch small balls out of the dough. Roll it out into 3" rounds
- Slide the dough rounds gently into hot oil. Fry till golden brown. Turn over and fry till the other side is done.
- Remove from oil, drain it on a paper towel and store it in an air tight jar. It will stay good for at least a week.